Thursday, February 7, 2008

Back in the saddle, again ...

Sorry about being incommunicado for so long ... I was down with the flu ... the kind that makes you feel as if you are completely 'boneless', and even your hair hurts. Even though I wasn't particularly interested in food (all I wanted was sourdough toast) I didn't lose even a pound ... what's the deal with that?? I mean, really, if you're going to come down with the nasty flu, at the very least, the benefit should be that you drop a few pounds, right? Well, the one good thing about having the flu for a week, is that I got a fair bit of knitting done in between numerous naps and lying around on the couch.

Since last June, I (along with many others) have been praying for a preemie baby named Emma, who has been in ICU at Children's Hospital since her birth, due to complications with her heart. We had hopes she might be able to come home for Christmas, but things took an unexpected, nasty turn. We almost lost her several times. Since then, her situation has improved dramatically, to the point where the doctors have said she will likely be released in the next 2 weeks ... amazing!!

So, I decided that Emma required a "coming home" outfit to celebrate. I had scored 6 balls of purple Rowan All Seasons Cotton for only $2 a ball during a sale last Fall at my LYS. I couldn't believe my fortune when I found it tucked away in the clearance section. This little hat is from the 'One Skein' book

And this adorable wrap sweater is from Debbie Bliss 'Special Knits' ... it's the one on the front cover. I made the 9-12 month size, as Emma is finally starting to catch up to her age/size, and I though that since it is cotton, she'll be able to wear it now and likely through Fall.

This was an easy, interesting knit due to the unusual construction ... it's made all in one piece, starting at the bottom. When you get to the armhole, you simply cast on extra stitches and start knitting the sleeve, which then gets folded in half and sewn up along the bottom edge. Other than that, the only sewing required is the side seams. The ribbed shawl collar is created by picking up stitches around the front portions and the neck. I'm thinking I'm going to add a tie to the front, to help keep it closed.

Emma's mom and dad are going to have an open house for all the folks who prayed for and supported her while she was in the hospital ... it will be the first time I'll be able to see her in person and I'm so looking forward to it!

We had a baby shower for one of the gals from work who recently had a boy. What is it with all the boys lately? I think that's 4 now. Anyway, it was the perfect opportunity to try out the "Toasty" pattern from the latest Knitty.

I used the only acrylic yarn that I like (Marble by James Brett) which cost $5.99 for a 100 g ball, and was able to make 2 hats (with a golf ball size ball of yarn left over) one for the shower which was held last night, and another one for our grandbaby. I really like the varigation of various greys, to a dijon yellow. So cozy!


So very cute! We immediately had to try it on the sleeping baby, while everyone ooh'd and aah'd and several picture were take (not by me) which I'll hopefully get a copy of.

Well, it looks like I'll have our grandbaby for the next couple of days, as our daughter has just phoned to say that she's now down with the flu and her husband is out of town ... go grandma!!

5 comments:

Tara said...

Great baby knits! I'm sure Emma's mom will be quite moved.

Virtuous said...

Glad you are feeling better!

And even more wonderful Emma will be coming home and in style! :o)

Unknown said...

Those are just adorable gifts for new babies. I love the colours.

Marianne said...

The gifts you made are adorable !
Glad you are feeling better now, and you are right, loosing a few pounds would have been a good reward for coming up with the flu :-) (for me too)

craft-chick said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, I was sick myself and I'm only now catching up with my regular blog reading, so I was soo happy to see some great project photos! I love the Debbie Bliss cardigan, and Anny Purls did a neat closure using i-cord to make Chinese frog buttons (you know those neat twisted loops and knots that make buttons).