I started this shawl last Spring, a few days before I landed myself in the hospital with a heart attack. I was trapped in ICU for 2 weeks, and spent the majority of the time knitting on this shawl, which helped to keep me somewhat sane! Although, I did have some 'tinking' to do which I blamed squarely on the numerous meds I was taking. I really dislike mohair, and have now discovered I actually have a mild allergy to it (itchy hives & eyes/sneezy), so this will be my first and last effort with Rowan Kidsilk Haze. The whole shawl took only (not quite) 2 balls of yarn, and at $10/ball, was a steal. I added another repeat of the pattern as I wanted the shawl to be a bit longer, so it's about 72" long and 22" wide. This was my first effort at fine lace and true to form, the whole shawl bunched up, slides through my size 5 wedding band! The above lumpy mess is the result of a bath in 'Soak' wash, waiting to be blocked.
I pinned out the peaks at 3" intervals, rather than 1.5" as stated in pattern instructions. The shawl is held together by the beaded 'napkin ring' you see above, which eliminates the need for a shawl pin (or, not). There's a small 1/4" wide piece of elastic inside to help grip the shawl together. It fits nicely on my middle finger.
Here's the whole works laid out on the guest room floor, blocking (door closed to keep out big hairy dog!) I briefly considered buying the shawl blocking frame that I've seen others use, but as I have no intention of EVER doing this again, it would be a waste of money. The overwhelming boredom of the pattern repeats just about did me in. BTW, I know it looks as though there's an error going across to the right from the napkin ring, but on careful inspection, I discovered it was lying on a seam in the carpet. Whew! Yeah ... another F/O to cross off my guilty list. Three more to go :)